I’ve recently had the honor of being nominated for the Sunshine Award by Carol Preibis from Ahh The Simple Life. It’s an “award” one blogger gives to other bloggers “who are positive and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere.” Thank you so much Carol! It really means a lot! And sorry for taking so long to follow up.
How Does the Sunshine Award Work?
According to the rules, a nominee should:
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Answer the questions from the person who nominated you.
- Nominate other bloggers for the Sunshine Award.
- Write the same number of questions for the bloggers you nominated as you received with your nomination.
- Notify the bloggers you have nominated.
Carol’s Questions and My Answers
- Why did you begin blogging, and what keeps you going? Supporting the minimalist movement and encouraging others to live simple lives were the two main motives that got me to start this blog and they still are the two main reasons that motivate me to keep writing. However, expressing myself and connecting with other like-minded people are also two very important reasons that prompted me to start this blog.
- What is your favorite topic to write about? I really enjoy writing about the philosophical thought that is at the root of this lifestyle we call minimalism. I especially like to write about the ideas of the ancient Greek and Roman thinkers. At the same time, I’ve been trying to cover a variety of topics over this first year-and-a-half of blogging, so I haven’t been writing about this particular subject lately. It’s also been a while since I’ve read any philosophical works and I have forgotten a good portion of what I used to know about these ancient philosophers. So, that also partly explains why I haven’t been incorporating any ancient philosophy in my posts lately.
- What is your favorite inspirational film? About a Boy would definitely be my favorite inspirational film. It’s not an obvious choice as far as inspirational films go, but the story of how Will Freeman is somewhat changed by Marcus is quite uplifting in my opinion. Will lives off his father’s royalties and he seems like a man who leads a life without any purpose. However, after spending some time with Marcus, a troubled boy, he learns the value of true companionship. Marcus’ story is also quite moving because he ends up answering to his bullies toward the end of the movie.
- How would you describe your perfect day? My perfect day would probably start off at about 9:30 am. I like to sleep in a little, but not too much because I feel a bit zonked if I sleep in excessively. I would first have some breakfast and head off for a nice bike ride around the neighborhood. I would then come back home and read a bit until lunch time. After a light lunch, I’d get all my soccer stuff ready and drive to the soccer field for an afternoon game in a rural part of Ottawa (I always find the drive on the country roads quite pleasant). After the game, I would come back home, take a quick shower, grab a bite to eat and finish off the day in Ottawa’s downtown core with some friends.
- What is the greatest challenge facing humanity today? It’s so hard to choose because humanity faces so many challenges these days. Personally, I find that the uncertainty surrounding the state of our environment is quite worrying. Politicians often talk about climate change and they often say that it is one of the key issues that currently needs to be dealt with. However, since I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to science, I don’t see myself making any revolutionary contributions to help solve this problem aside from doing my best to live in an environmentally friendly manner.
- If you could travel anywhere on the globe, where would you go? I would love to go Arashiyama, the touristy part of Kyoto, Japan. I mainly just want to go there to walk down the path that goes through those famous bamboo groves.
Six Questions for My Nominees
- What is your favorite aspect of blogging?
- How did you come up with your blog title?
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
- What is your favorite meal?
- Describe one of your favorite childhood memories.
- Apart from blogging and writing, what is your favorite hobby?